Director of Engineering
Direct the engineering/maintenance operations of the hotel to ensure the safety and comfort of hotel guests and employees and to ensure compliance with all Brand and federal, state, and/or local regulatory and inspection requirements. May have responsibility for the Loss Prevention function. This is the top Maintenance/Engineering job in a large full-service, luxury, resort, or major flagship hotel with multiple facilities, a number of major outlets, high volume catering and convention facilities, and a large number of VIP and key guests. Supervises a staff of maintenance/engineering tradespersons with specialized expertise in a field or discipline such as plumbing, carpentry, etc. Oversees subordinate managers and supervisors. Principle duties and responsibilities (Essential Functions) include: • Operational/Functional: o Ensure all staff is properly trained and has the tools and equipment needed to effectively carry out their respective job duties. o Educate/train employees on current safety issues to ensure compliance with all federal, state and local laws and safety regulations. Inform management of hazardous situations, emergencies or threats to the security of guests, employees or hotel assets. o Oversee the physical operations of the hotel, including maintenance and repair of interior and exterior of buildings, hotel rooms and contents, laundry and kitchen/refrigeration equipment, lighting, heating, air conditioning (HVAC), ventilation, and water treatment systems, and swimming pool. o Ensure that equipment is prepared and operational for the following days’ work. o Respond in a courteous and prompt manner to all guest questions, complaints and/or requests to ensure a high level of guest satisfaction. o May be responsible for determining the security requirements necessary to ensure that hotel property, employees, and guests are protected against theft, crime, and other hazards, and/or manage the relationship with a third party security firm contracted for such purposes. o May assist with other duties as assigned. o May serve as Manager of Duty as required. • Strategy and Planning: o Direct the daily activities of the department. Plan and organize work, communicate goals, and schedule employees to ensure proper coverage. Communicate and enforce policies and procedures. o Recommend and initiate salary, disciplinary, or other staffing/human resources- related actions in accordance with company rules and policies. Alert Management of potentially serious issues. o Establish and maintain procedures to (1) ensure the security of inventory and assets such as tools, supplies, equipment, furniture, televisions, etc., (2) replenish supplies and inventory in a timely and efficient manner, and (3) to minimize waste. • Financial Management: o Monitor budget and control expenses within all areas of the department. Participate in the preparation of the annual departmental operating budget and Capital plans which support the overall objectives of the hotel. o Work with corporate product managers, engineers and/or outside architects regarding renovations and other such projects; contact contractors for bids and meet with appropriate construction supervisors to ensure timely completion of projects within budget and establish future maintenance commitments. • Managing your Team o Attract, retain, and motivate the best talent o Ensure team members receive proper training applicable to their position and career aspirations and in accordance with company policy and/or local laws o Responsible for monitoring, measuring, and recognizing performance of team members who directly report to the role and indirect reports o Support, comply and promote company initiative, policies and guidelines. o Handle employee issues in a professional and timely manner • Leading with Passion o Responsible for ensuring success through the eyes of employees, guests, and owners o Utilize and collaborate with resources across different departments and corporate office o Capable of influencing employees to perform to their highest standard and establishing a trusting environment to enrich the culture o Focus on the mission and well-being of the department, hotel, and company as a whole o Lead by example and operate with integrity and respect o Inspire your team to embrace and demonstrate our values and GUEST People Standards
A candidate for this position must possess the following applicable knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to demonstrate and provide applicable examples to support his/her competency. Some college or advanced vocational training, plus a minimum of 5-7 years of experience in general building maintenance and/or construction or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Hotel maintenance and supervisory experience preferred. Professional certification and license if required by law. Must speak fluent English.
• Track record of delivering exceptional guest and client experience.
• Demonstrable expertise in analysis and action taking.
• Excellent oral and written communication.
• Excellent organization skills.
• Appropriate professional appearance and demeanor.
• Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
• Frequently standing up or moving within and outside the facility.
• Frequently handling objects and equipment to maintain the facility.
• Frequently bending, stooping, kneeling, climbing and crawling.
• Carrying, lifting, pushing and/or pulling items weighing up to 100-300 lbs.
• Communication skills, both verbal and written, are utilized a significant amount of time when interacting with others; demonstrated ability to interact with customers, employees and third parties that reflects highly on the hotel, the brand and the Company.
• Specialized expertise in plumbing, electrical, mechanical, and carpentry fields. Level 3 EPA Certification, HVAC and refrigeration certificate, licensed plumber and/or journeyman statues for electrician and carpenter may be required.
• Reading and writing abilities are utilized in order to document or record all tasks completed, to order supplies, to receive their instructions for the day and/or to read equipment repair manuals.
• Problem solving, reasoning, motivating, organizational and training abilities are used often.
• Mathematical skills, including basic math, budgeting, profit/loss concepts, percentages, and variances are utilized frequently.
• May be required to work nights, weekends, and/or holidays.
The statements in this job description are intended to represent the key duties and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be ALL responsibilities or qualifications of the job. This position is classified as exempt and is not subject to overtime in accordance with Federal and State Regulations. This job description is subject to change at any time.
To apply Please go to https://www.sonesta.com/careersApply Online Here Apply By Email