If our roads and restaurants seem a little busier these days it’s because they are. Spring Break means travel time for many families and we’re fortunate that many of them choose Hilton Head Island and the Lowcountry as their Spring Break destination of choice.
We all know that there is inherent value in travel. The US Travel Association thinks so too, and was willing to spend a few million dollars proving it. The group launched The Travel Effect, a multi-year, multimillion dollar research and marketing campaign to study and publicize the benefits of travel, not just from an economic perspective but from an individual and overall family health angle.
They figured that if the wine and chocolate industry could tout the wellness benefits of their products, then surely the travel industry could do the same, and the research proved their case:
Travel strengthens families and relationships:
- 53% of youth participants say vacations bring their family closer together.
- 62% of the adults surveyed said their earliest memories were of family vacations.
- Almost 70% of youth see family vacations as an opportunity for experiences they don’t get at home.
Travel is a win/win not just for our Lowcountry business community, but also for our nation’s economy:
- Travel supports 14.4 million jobs. One in every 8 U.S jobs is related to tourism.
- There is a cost for business travel, but there’s also a cost to eliminating business travel. For those businesses that make the unfortunate decision to halt business travel, there is a 17% drop in profits in the first year.
- Face-to-face business meetings are worth the travel expense. According to Oxford Economics, for every $1 invested in business travel, businesses experience a $12.50 increase in revenue.
With The RBC Heritage just around the corner, and our busiest time of year following, it bears repeating that tourism is good for business. It’s nice to have the statistics from our partners at the U.S. Travel Association to show what we’ve always known, that it’s good for our overall health and our families as well.